Located in Stowe, Vermont, The Current was established in 1981, growing out of a community project to save a historic building and to utilize it for the benefit of the community.
Our mission is to enhance the human experience through the visual arts. The Current serves more than 75,000 local and visiting audience members annually.
We provide year-round contemporary visual art exhibitions and an annual outdoor sculpture show throughout Stowe called Exposed; public programs such as lectures, panels, and film screenings primarily linked to our exhibitions; and arts education programs for all ages.
We have a new Art Lounge for adults to enjoy learning more about the exhibitions, and enjoy tea and coffee while relaxing amidst contemporary art.
Our Hands-on Room offers youth and adults art activities that relate thematically to our exhibits.
Dates of Operation:
10:00-5:00 Tuesdays through Saturdays
Group Policy and Rates:
Group & Tour Packages (Guided Tours, School, College & University Groups)
Group Rates & Information*
Minimum group size is 10. Reservations are required 1 week in advance.
- 10-20 people: $150
- 20-40 people: $200
- 40 + by special arrangement and fees
Per person fee for groups of less than 10: $15 per person; does not include an activity**
Group Rate Includes
- 20-30 minutes tour plus ACCESS to Art Lounge & Hands-on Room
- 2 chaperones per every 10 people; $10 fee pp for additional chaperones
- One chosen “included” activity (see below); customized activities available for a fee
Included Activities (choose one)
- Gallery Games – Tour with interactive gallery games for school groups
- See and Sketch – Interactive tour followed by sketching in the Gallery
- Spotlight on Contemporary Art – Tour with focus on relevance of contemporary art
- Zoom into Two – Spotlight on 2 works of art in current exhibition with conversation
- Art on the Shelf – Tour and time to peruse the art library in Art Lounge with tea and coffee
- Art in the House – Tour and history of The Current and the historic building
- Cool it in the Gallery – Tour of galleries with highlight on museum and gallery etiquette (great for students)
- Yours to Explore +call for pricing – Art tour + art activity or short workshop connected to the exhibit (can be modified for depth and complexity of art activity and audience age)
- Art Break +$15pp – Tour followed by bagged lunch in the Art Lounge (or Gazebo during fair weather)
- Curator’s Eye +$10pp – Tour with Curator to hear behind the scenes information related to the exhibition
- Teacher’s Choice $10pp – Tour designed by teachers with particular curricular thread in mind (either self-guided with gallery staff support or led by staff)
- Teacher’s Time + call for pricing – Special tour of current exhibit with follow-up time to relax in the Art Lounge. Evening or Daytime event.
- You in Mind +15 – Our Gallery team will design a tour around your needs with follow-up time to relax and explore in the Art Lounge.
Other Organizations & Groups
- We are pleased to offer guided tours and activities to schools, organizations, corporations, and individuals. Our offerings include an understanding of contemporary art and relevant themes that relate to the world around us. We can customize any tour to include an art activity or special feature.
*K-12 School Groups and Groups of K-12 Teachers qualify for scholarship assistance.
**Individual Walk-ins will be accommodated based on availability. Activities are not available for walk-ins.
***The Current works to promote a culture of inclusion and accessibility. We are wheelchair accessible with a ramp in the front of the building and an accessible elevator inside the front entrance to bring you to our second floor location. Large print materials or other accommodations can be provided with 10 days advance notice. We can adjust the environment for those with autism or other disabilities that create sensory sensitivity. We use non-toxic and non-scented cleaners and paint in our galleries for those with chemical sensitivities.